Saturday, July 08, 2017

Well, 3.5 years on from September 2013....

(wow that's a long time)

Still livin' it up in my own house, on my own, with a very cute kitty cat.

Going back and reading the last few posts was very interesting. Earthquakes and discovering the joys of living alone...continuing in that theme...

We had another 'set' of earthquakes (Nov' 2016). The first was centred a long ways away, in Kaikoura (153km away (95 miles)), but it was a biggie. Measured at 7.8, it happened right around midnight. Read a couple posts ago and you'll find that I decided in the last quake that my bed is a pretty safe place. I got out of bed for this one, it was amazing. Shook for a bit then REALLY shook and I got up and started wandering around the house wondering when the glasses were going to start falling down and where exactly I should go to be safest when the walls gave out, since it felt very much like the whole thing was about to just give up and fall over.

Eventually the actual shaking stopped, I firstly emailed my mum, cuz I knew it would make their news and who knew if we were going to have power/phone etc. going forward. Fortunately it turned out that my house was all fine, but work was closed. In fact, most of Wellington was closed for at least a week. When I decided to go back into town, it was amazing at how empty it was. There were pictures of what Pastoral House looked like after the earthquake. It was just crazy, all the drawers flew out of their slots and everything fell off shelves and monitors fell over. Place was a mess. Plates everywhere. After a bajillion engineer reviews, they deemed the building safe to go back into, but decided that the top few floors had too much unsecured furniture and so they moved a bunch of people out. We ended up working out in Wallaceville for a few months.

You know, there's way too much to really catch up on.

I'm writing again cuz I'm full up of thoughts and I don't really know what to do. Not that I can really go into all the details, but I guess I felt the need for an outlet.


No comments: